05/01/2011

Wedding Speech

I took in a lot of advice when writing my wedding speech, I'm not the greatest of public speakers and was not looking forward to giving my speech one bit, I think I spend all the morning and afternoon dreading it. Friends of ours did their speeches before the meals (great idea) however I remember feeling very hungry at their wedding and when we planned it out we wouldn’t be eating until much later.

I’m not sure how well I spoke at my wedding; I know I received a lot of compliments and as I took some inspiration from the web I feel I should give something back by sharing my speech.

To shed a little background, my wife is from Italy and we had approximately 10 Italian guests, 6 of which spoke little to no English, I also told a few friends that I’d managed to slip an Alan Partridge quote into my speech (I don’t think any of them actually spotted it, see if you can)



My Wife and I would like to extend a very warm welcome to all of you who are able to join us on our very special day.

I know many of you have travelled a long way to be with us, most notably those that have travelled from Roma – Italia, and it is to those guests that I would like to say

Prynhawn da,  Croeso i Gymru.
Ciao, Benvenuti in Galles.
Unfortunately after 7 years and a handful of trips to Italy my Italian has improved very little, fortunately I do know the Italian for TV remote and volume, and like all good travellers I know
Una birra, per favour.
For those of you who understood me, great! For those that didn’t, “Mine's a pint!”
We hope that today is as enjoyable for you as it is special to us.
Today would not have been possible without a huge amount of support from both my parents Annette and Raymond and Laura’s parents, Maria-Laura and Malcolm. We cannot thank you enough for the guidance and support you have provided us over the last few years and we hope you accept these followers as a token of our appreciation.
I’d like to personally thank my best man Cid, who has always spoken his mind and provided me with the best advice he can.
Laura and I would also like to thank Ciora for being a wonderful bridesmaid today.
Cid and Ciora, please accept these gifts.
Lastly I have to thank Laura; I think you’ll all agree looks stunning today.
Laura and I have been together now for over 7 years, in that time it is difficult to recall of an occasion where we have fallen out, argued or had crossed words. As a couple we complement each other very well, and as both our parents will testify, if someone doesn’t get done today, then maybe it will get done tomorrow, if not tomorrow, then maybe next week.

Ladies and Gentlemen please raise your glasses to my very beautiful bride, my wife, Laura.
Cheers

I put you now in the capable hands of my best man Cid.

No comments:

Post a Comment